SAC Sr. travels a lot during the summer to many different locations and exciting destinations, but we do have places that we will frequent more often. Below are some of the things that we do more frequently.
New Glarus – A small village southwest of Madison where we enjoy the use of their public facilities, including playgrounds, parks, and pool. Things we do at New Glarus include:
- Games: From Sharks & Minnows to Volcanoes & Craters, we will be playing a vast array of games in the park.
- Crafts: Crafts done at New Glarus will trend towards more detailed crafts, such as 3D names and flip books.
- Sports: New Glarus has an excellent field that we can use for wiffle ball, kickball, soccer, and many other sports, but they also have basketball courts and sand volleyball courts that we will be putting to good use!
- Pool: Located right next to the Village Park, the New Glarus pool has slides, diving boards, lifeguards, and all the water we need for a great afternoon.
Camp Carlson – A scout camp located near Sauk City that has cool, shady woods, winding trails, pavilions, riverside access, and clearings for all kinds of activities.
- Outdoor Skills: Learn fire building, orienteering, woodland hiding, searching, and plant ID. Hear from resident outdoorsmen about past frontiersmen and how their skills relate to things today.
- Crafts: Camp Carlson crafts will be bigger and messier! Make bleach and tie-die shirts, catapults, kites, and more!
- Initiatives: Use logs, rope, water, and a variety of other odd ingredients to learn teamwork and communication skills.
- Archery: Learn the basics of this ancient skill and sport and then practice to see how far you can rank up in one summer! Earn pins as you get better to mark your level.
Princeton Club East – At Princeton Club East, we use their two full-sized basketball courts for indoor soccer, basketball, volleyball, floor hockey, and other sports, as well as a crazy array of games like dodgeball, kaos, widjiitiwin, basketball, and wallball.
Optional Field Trips – These trips are a step above and beyond our normal programming. Keep an eye out for Optional Field Trips during registration – from mini-golf to professional art teachers, laser tag to bookstores, we have choices!
Wheelhouse Studios – A standard Optional Field Trip on Fridays, Wheelhouse Studios is an art studio located downtown in the Memorial Union. They have professional studios, equipment, and great artists to help students create cool works of art. Potential projects there include: Mixed Media Paintings; Monoprints – Chalk, Ink & Paint; My Favorite Things Drawing; Melted Crayon Art; Mosaics w/ Glass – Plate or Bowl; Polymer Clay Jewelry/Critters; Decorative Picture Frames; Relief Printing – Paper to Fabric; Basic Metal Jewelry Designs; and Acrylic Paints on Canvas.
Bethel Horizons – A traditional sleep-away camp located outside Dodgeville that we partner with to provide more extreme and challenging trips for SAC Sr., such as high ropes, climbing, and rappelling off a 60-foot cliff! All activities are supervised by Bethel Horizons’ own highly trained staff.
Service Day – Once a summer, SAC Sr. takes the day to help those less fortunate. We split up and volunteer at two food shelters, Grace Episcopalian downtown and The River on the East Side.
Day at Kids Junction – A few times a summer, we heading inside Kids Junction to build with Legos, play video games, and create imaginative crafts.